The Philippeion of Olympia

Translation Fundraiser

Our vision: Free history education for everyone in the world, in every language. That's a lofty goal indeed, but that won't stop us from working towards it. To get there we need to translate... a lot! Please donate today and help us make a truly global impact. Thank you very much!
$1109 / $3000

Illustration

Mark Cartwright
by
published on 26 April 2012
Send to Google Classroom:

The Philippeion was erected by Philip II, King of Macedonia after the victory of Chaeroneia in 338 BCE. Originally there were 18 Ionic columns and inside were gold and ivory statues of Philip's family.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

About the Author

Mark Cartwright
Mark is a history writer based in Italy. His special interests include pottery, architecture, world mythology and discovering the ideas that all civilizations share in common. He holds an MA in Political Philosophy and is the Publishing Director at WHE.

Cite This Work

APA Style

Cartwright, M. (2012, April 26). The Philippeion of Olympia. World History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.worldhistory.org/image/441/the-philippeion-of-olympia/

Chicago Style

Cartwright, Mark. "The Philippeion of Olympia." World History Encyclopedia. Last modified April 26, 2012. https://www.worldhistory.org/image/441/the-philippeion-of-olympia/.

MLA Style

Cartwright, Mark. "The Philippeion of Olympia." World History Encyclopedia. World History Encyclopedia, 26 Apr 2012. Web. 01 Dec 2021.

Membership