The Telesterion, Eleusis

Translation Fundraiser

Our vision: Free history education for everyone in the world, in every language. That's a lofty goal indeed, but that won't stop us from working towards it. To get there we need to translate... a lot! Please donate today and help us make a truly global impact. Thank you very much!
$1140 / $3000

Illustration

Carole Raddato
by
published on 03 January 2015
Send to Google Classroom:

The Telesterion was a large rectangular hall, probably columned, in the Sanctuary of Demeter and Kore at Eleusis (Greece). It served as the initiation Hall and Temple for the Eleusinian Mysteries. Date of construction: c. 435 BCE - 421 BCE

Remove Ads

Advertisement

About the Author

Carole Raddato
Carole maintains the popular ancient history photo-blog Following Hadrian, where she travels the world in the footsteps of emperor Hadrian.

Cite This Work

APA Style

Raddato, C. (2015, January 03). The Telesterion, Eleusis. World History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.worldhistory.org/image/3502/the-telesterion-eleusis/

Chicago Style

Raddato, Carole. "The Telesterion, Eleusis." World History Encyclopedia. Last modified January 03, 2015. https://www.worldhistory.org/image/3502/the-telesterion-eleusis/.

MLA Style

Raddato, Carole. "The Telesterion, Eleusis." World History Encyclopedia. World History Encyclopedia, 03 Jan 2015. Web. 02 Dec 2021.

Membership